Agronomic efficacy testing is an essential element in the process of evaluating a product and is a prerequisite for re-registration, use extension and re-evaluation/development testing. In order to determine the efficacy of products, validated methodologies have to be implemented, which are adapted depending on the crop conditions and the dynamics of pests, weeds and diseases. In order to implement them, it is necessary to search for information on proven methods, either through different manuals or scientific articles.
Validation of product efficacy and crop safety is crucial prior to market launch. This way, we avoid making mistakes and generating future problems that may cause not only a decrease in yields, but also in the profitability of companies and the lack of customers' trust, so we must take all possible precautions.
In 2016, the agronomic area of the TRICHODEX R&D&I department implemented the development of a controlled conditions chamber, making it possible to test the efficacy and selectivity of the products in the catalogue, prior to their transfer to field conditions. Therefore, since 2016, a total of 119 experimental tests have been carried out, 67.90% of which were successful (statistical difference and selectivity).
Among the types of tests carried out are: biofertilisation, product selectivity, in vitro/ex vivo bioprotection, abiotic stress and seed tests.
The results of the tests carried out in 2020 are shown below, according to type:
In addition, this area has carried out all the field tests for product registration, with the contracting of certified companies, carrying out a total of 47 certified tests since 2016, with 70% of all tests yielding satisfactory results (efficacy of more than 40% for bioprotection and yield increases of more than 10% for biofertilisers).
As an R&D&I department, we contribute to research projects in collaboration with large agri-food production companies. These companies provide us with a vision of the different problems in the sector, making it possible to search for effective solutions validated in greenhouse and field conditions, as well as toxicological and ecotoxicological studies that ensure that the prototypes developed are environmentally friendly and respectful of people.
In the last 5 years, a total of 8 research projects have been carried out, with their corresponding efficacy tests, which are listed below:
- CDTI, "Development of a new integrated technology based on different bioeffectors to extend the shelf life of strawberries"; 2016-2018.
- Development of new phosphate solubilisers based on beneficial soil microorganisms; 2016-2017.
- "Development of new agricultural biostimulants produced from Piriformospora and Rhizobium; 2016-2018.
- "Development of a new biofungicide for the control of Phytophthora infestans in potato crops (2016-2018).
- SUPERBIO, H2020, "Biolactoplus, Microbial growth optimization for biostimulants production"; 2018-2019.
- FEDER-INNTERCONECTA, "Development of bioformulates for products of high social interest"; 2018-2021.
- "Research into new microbial biofertilisers to mitigate abiotic stress in crops"; 2019-2020.
- “Design and development of new biofungicides for the control of Botrytis in horticultural crops"; 2019-2020.
Providing customers with a good technical and experimental dossier is a real sales driver, allowing us to stand out from the competition. To do this, it is essential to invest in well-conducted tests to ensure that the product is capable of satisfying the customer, thus generating an increasingly higher demand on the market.