This initiative recognises the actions and attitudes in favour of prevention and risk reduction promoted by the staff, the group's factories and also the companies that regularly provide services at its plants.
- The awards were presented to two employees of Fercampo and Setúbal who have excelled in the field of prevention and the promotion of a healthy working environment.
- The nitrate plant in Puertollano, awarded for its high safety standards.
- The Kaefer company in Avilés has also been recognised for its good safety and environmental practices.
Grupo Fertiberia, a benchmark company in the field of plant nutrition in Europe, has joined this year's World Day for Safety and Health at Work, which is celebrated on 28 April, with the presentation of the first edition of the 1st SaFer Awards, an initiative with which it has recognised actions and attitudes in favour of risk prevention and reduction promoted by the staff, the group's factories and also the companies that regularly provide services at its plants. The awards were presented by the CEO of the Fertiberia Group, Javier Goñi, and the Industrial Director, David Herrero, at a ceremony held at the company's corporate headquarters in Madrid.
The company, which for several years has been immersed in a profound transformation with the aim of leading the green fertilisation of the future, has also launched the SaFer programme to lead the highest standards in the fields of health, safety and environment in the European chemical industry. As a result of this commitment, a year ago it organised the first edition of the SaFer Awards, an initiative that has been very well received by the personnel at its production centres.
The reinforcement and promotion of good habits and behaviour is the most effective way to foster the development of a robust safety and environmental culture. The SaFer Awards are organised in four categories.
- In the 'Safety Model' category, which distinguishes exemplary attitudes and behaviour of workers in ensuring individual and collective safety, Miguel Baena Milán, an employee at the Fercampo factory, received the award. In the 'Risk Reducer' category, Américo Silva Mendes, a worker at the Setúbal plant, was honoured for his development of the project 'Cancela Rotativa' project, which prevents accidents by means of rotating gates. Both received a trophy and a travel voucher worth 1,500 Euros.
- In the 'Safety and Environment' category, the award went to the nitrate plant in Puertollano, while in the 'Star Company' category, a distinction created for external companies that regularly carry out their activities in Grupo Fertiberia, the award went to the company Kaefer in Avilés. In addition to the corresponding trophy, the companies received a cheque for 5,000 and 2,000 Euros, respectively, which will be used to purchase safety equipment.
The safety of people and processes are at the heart of Grupo Fertiberia's strategy to move towards a safe working environment. In this sense, the SaFer programme, launched three years ago, is set up through the deployment of a long-term action plan aimed at promoting a corporate culture of 'zero losses', based on responsibility and prevention to avoid accidents and limit risks, in addition to reinforcing process safety.
Training, working groups, protocols and drills, and the definition of the 10 Rules that Save Lives, are some of the initiatives developed during this time, with the aim of promoting this culture of continuous improvement in Grupo Fertiberia, led by the company's senior management.